Hello, WordPress World!
Just a quick post with some random thoughts to share.
First, apologies for writing that dreadful (yet FICTIONAL people!) parenting post and then dropping you all like a hot potato! You may have been Waiting on a Word, but we’re Waiting on a Baby (my sister-in-law was due last Saturday and still we wait), and were Waiting on a Bunch of Television Shows!
(1) Television: For those who haven’t watched Breaking Bad yet, skip this paragraph. Spoiler Alert! Okay? THANK YOU to Breaking Bad for keeping Jesse Pinkman alive and kicking! And for making an excellent series finale that tied up all loose ends and gave us closure. Kudos! Now onto The Walking Dead in a couple of weeks.
Also, I’ve been Netflix binge watching Weeds and have added Nancy Botwin (Mary-Louise Parker) to my “favorite female characters ever” list. If you can open your mind a bit to let in a suburban widow who deals pot to support her kids and her McMansion lifestyle, and you can let go of your ideas on good parenting for the sake of entertainment, you’ll love Weeds. Nancy’s a smart, honest, complex character who manages to survive and “succeed” all while maintaining her sex appeal and femininity. Kevin Nealon and Elizabeth Perkins also star, playing supporting quirky characters. The episodes are only twenty-something minutes and they fly by, so give it a try if you’re looking for something fun and smart.
(2) When Bloggers Meet: This past weekend I met up with The Underground Writer in NYC for a playdate of sorts! TUW and I hooked up through blogging and started emailing each other a while back and became friends, and finally met in person under the clock in Grand Central Station. We ate lunch (Guess how much for our cheeseburgers and fries? Answers below…) and walked Central Park all the way up to the Met. We practically sprinted through the Met (it’s huge and luckily neither of us are the read-all-the-descriptions type of museum-goers) and then headed back home. Turns out TUW is just as sweet in person as she is on her blog and her emails. We’re planning another outing in spring. Yay!
(3) Writing/Blogging Stuff: Again, apologies that I’ve been off the grid. I haven’t been writing my own posts or keeping up with yours. I think I’m a couple of weeks behind on reading your posts. Besides my television-watching skills (balancing the remote on the armrest, training the dog to pee during commercials, etc.) I’ve been reading and writing outside of the WordPress world. I’m thinking of starting a NaNoWriMo project in November. Anyone else giving this a shot? Anyone? Anyone? I linked you to the Wikipedia page for the challenge because their site is under maintenance at this moment (www.nanowrimo.org). The Challenge: 50,000 words in one month. Yes, it may be impossible, but the world won’t end if I can’t meet the challenge. I just thought it would be fun to try.
Also, for those of you keeping score, I’m thinking of changing my idea for a weekly Magnificent Made Up Man of Monday post to a Magnificient Made-Up Man of the Month post. Once a week is way too ambitious for me. As promised, Lloyd Dobbler will be Mr. October. I thought I’d toss around the idea of maybe soliciting guest posts for Men of the Month from y’all? Anyone have a Magnificent Made Up Man they love and want to write about for the month of November who would like to post here? Email me or leave me a comment!
Finally, as to blogging stuff, I’ll be featuring a guest post from Kate over at Did That Just Happen this week. Her post is adorable, as is she, and after I confirm the details with her (I’m serious when I say I’ve been off the grid) I can’t wait to post it for you! I didn’t want it to be my first post after my hiatus though, so I thought I’d bore you with this dribble drabble before featuring her guest post. Keep a eye out!
(4) 50 Shades of Wuhhh???: Now that the 50 Shades of Grey (E.L. James) movie is cast I thought I’d go back and read the first book again and post on it. MISTAKE. I’ll post more on this topic soon.
(5) That Shout Out to Sweetness I mentioned: Everyone probably knows by now that one of my favorite bloggers is Sweetness over at Chronicles of a Public Transit User. As I mentioned above, I spent a great deal of time this past weekend on public transit and took some pictures with her in mind. Of course, my pics were with my crappy ass iPhone 4, while the pictures on her site are professional quality, but I thought I’d share nonetheless.
Pictures in Central Park, NYC:
Thanks for reading and have a nice night!