If I Ran the World,
- The work week would be four days. People would be more efficient because they’d know they only have four days to get their work done, and they’d be grateful for the three-day weekends. Think about it.
- Grocery stores would be designed so you’d walk into the dry foods section, then proceed up and down aisles to refrigerated/frozen, then produce, and then end up at the check out. This way your frozen stuff stays frozen and your produce is on top of the cart, not squished under the water bottles.
- Doctors’ hours would be from noon until 8:00 every weekday, then 9-12 on two Saturdays a month. Doesn’t it just make sense?
- Do kids really need homework? Thinking of banning homework. It stresses everyone out. Instead, I’d make them read and journal at night.
- I’d fix the whole Christmas thing.
- Superbowl Sunday would be on Saturday.
- Commercials must go. Except on Superbowl Saturday.
- I’d put money towards the following inventions: electric cars that everyone can afford, automatic dog walking robots (like the one on Wallace and Gromit), technology that moves clothes from the washer to the dryer so you don’t have to, and a decent stapler that never jams.
- Coffee shops would deliver.
- Internet-free days. I’d shut off the internets for one day a month. Do what you did back in the 70’s and 80’s, and/or be present in the real world.
- Libraries would be open all night and have comfortable seating, not those institutional wooden chairs.
- Siestas. Every day, for everyone.
- Get out of Life Free Cards- One day per year. Hand in your card. Disappear. No rules for twenty-four hours. Do what you want. Refresh, revive, rejuvenate.
- Movies from your home. Like, subscribe to AMC for one month and watch what is currently in release from wherever you’d like.
- Every person would have to donate a penny a day to the Charity of the Week. At 318.9 million people in the U.S. at one penny per day, times 7 days per week, that’s about $22 million bucks to the Charity of the Week. Think of all the pennies on the floor of your car that can be put to good use. No need to dump ice over your head (unless you want to).
I’m taking suggestions! If you have anything you’d like to add to the list, let me know. I’ll keep a running spreadsheet in case I ever get appointed as EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS. 🙂
Thanks for reading. Now I wave my wand (would an Empress of All Things have a wand?) and give you permission to take a siesta!
(Pic: https://cbsbaltimore.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/generic_football.jpg?w=420&h=280 )